We’ve compiled these helpful Mantis Composter tips for making compost, frequently asked questions, maintenance tips and how-to instructions to help you make an endless supply of compost for your garden and yard. If you require additional service or assistance, please contact us.
How to Assemble
Using Your Mantis Composter
All materials (except grass) can be stored for future use. They can be stored in bags or a plastic trash can/bucket.
Your composting season is effective when the outside temperatures are consistently 40 degrees or higher.
During colder months, your ComposTumbler should be emptied and cleaned out. The exception is our Back Porch model.
Because of its high-density plastic drum, material can be stored inside it during Winter.
No. If you have a sufficient supply of high-Nitrogen “green” material (fresh grass, kitchen/yard waste, farm manure…)
you will not need to use activator to make compost in 14 days. Our activator works as a replacement source of Nitrogen for
times when you don’t have an available supply of those items. Our activator has a two year shelf life, so it can be purchased
in advance and kept on hand for times when it is needed.
Turn your ComposT-Twin once a day to properly aerate the material in the chamber. Make sure to turn at least four complete revolutions of the drum. This action aerates the material in the chamber and fluffs the contents. Proper aeration aids in maintaining proper moisture levels proper moisture means contents will not develop an ammonia or sulfur-like smell. The mixture should feel like a wrung-out sponge. Use your Moisture Meter to test moisture levels. The reading should be between 4-7. The Moisture Meter is available via our online shopping.
Never add large quantities of grass clippings to the compost chamber. If they are fresh, the nitrogen ratio will be too high for the pile to decay. If you want to use your grass clippings, add a little at a time and store the rest in garbage bags or in a small pile elsewhere until they turn brown. Then they can be used as a carbon source.
Yes, you can compost only grass, but not very efficiently. A better mix is 60% brown leaves and 40% green grass. Another good addition to a new compost batch is compost activator, or good garden soil – both of which include the beneficial bacteria that speed up the decomposition process.
Replacement parts for Mantis composters can be ordered by phone or by visiting our Composter Parts page.
The Mantis ComposT-Twin requires little maintenance. After emptying finished compost from a chamber, rinse the inside thoroughly with a garden hose. Occasionally, check the breather screens in the doors to ensure they are not clogged. At the beginning of each season, lubricate the four axle rod guides with a wheel bearing-type grease, and check all screws and bolts for tightness.
Yes, if you are not adding materials to your ComposT-Twin, you may wish to cover it with a composter cover. Yes, if you are not adding materials to your ComposT-Twin, you may wish to cover it with a composter cover. See the Composter Accessories page.
Yes, there is a cover for the Original and Compact ComposTumbler composters. See the Composter Accessories page.